Thursday 14 March 2013

RECIPROCITY THEOREM

RECIPROCITY THEOREM
The theorem states that
The current I in any branch of a network, due to a single voltage source E anywhere else in the network, will equal the current through the branch in which the source was originally located if the source is placed in the branch in which  the current I was originally measured.



The reciprocity theorem is applicable only to single-source networks.It is, therefore, not a theorem employed in the analysis of multisource networks

In other words, the location of the voltage source and the resulting current may be interchanged without a change in current. The theorem requires that the polarity of the voltage source have the same correspondence with the direction of the branch current in each position.

EXAMPLE
solution



RTH = [ (2 + 4) || 6 ] +12 = 15Ω

IS = 45 / 15 =3 A

By using current division rule
I = 3 * 6 / 12 = 1.5A
                                      I = 1.5A

Now we have to intercahnce E and I

Since I is pointed downwards in the given problem. so the positive terminal placed downwards when we interchange.

Since E positive terminal points upwards in the given problem, the current I also points upwards in above diagram when we interchange
RT = (12|| 6) + 2 + 4 =  10 Ω
IS = 45 /10 =4.5A
By using current division rule
I = 4.5 *  6 / ( 12 + 6) = 1.5A
                              I = 1.5A
Since in both cases I are equal reciprocity theorem is verified



0 Responses to “RECIPROCITY THEOREM”

Sample Links

All Rights Reserved ECE | Blogger Template by Bloggermint